Hello, this topic is also not very complicated, so the post will be quite short.
We have to remember about some rules before we add icon to a MIDlet:
- Only PNG’s are allowed
- icon’s size is not standarized
- some phones will expand smaller icons, some won’t
- the icons that are to big might be shrinked or cut to smaller, we can’t decide
- I recommend using size 32x32, it is smaller than most phones can hold, so at least we can be sure, that it won’t be cut
- icon files, if we want to reffer to it as: “/icon.png” should be placed in src directory in project’s path I think it’s the best way to do this (this file will be automatically added to newly created JAR file)
- After starting Netbeans we go as before to project’s properties, here we open “Application Descriptor” again, then we select second tab:
- Now, after choosing “Edit…” we can select file:
- Next, we have to add appropriate attribute to our JAD and manifest. Let’s click “Add…”, automatically first to add will be icon attribute:
- At last you can run this MIDlet in the emulator (or upload to your mobile). You should see icon you have selected for your app.
- Easy to use program for converting other graphics formats to PNG can be downloaded here: http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
- You should find/create icon by yourself, for tesing I used RSS icon.